WHAT IS GESTATIONAL DIABETES
Gestational diabetes refers to the high blood sugar level that affects pregnant- women. A person is at higher risk who develops gestational diabetes at any stage of life. They may also get infected with diabetes type 2 at any stage in their life. A lot of times symptoms are not detected in a person going through gestation diabetes.
Usually, a blood sugar test is taken on a priority basis for pregnant women. For curing the blood sugar level monitoring blood sugar level daily is important. Also, a healthy diet is essential, along with the required exercise. Also, the baby has to be monitored to ensure that the growth of the baby is healthy. Medication is also essential if the blood sugar level is high.
A person having gestational diabetes should eat homemade, healthy, and fresh-cooked food. A healthy balanced diet can help you cure soon of the problem. The food should include proteins, vegetables, and all kinds of fruits. Even carbohydrates and fats are required by the body, but that should also be healthy.
All the packed, processed and unhealthy food should be avoided. Also, the amount of food you consume at a time matters a lot. So, one should try to divide the food into several portions and limit their portion.
One should know how to balance the food one consumes. A person should take some help like visiting a dietician who will provide you with a healthy and correct diet. Or also, you can contact your doctor regarding your diet so that you make it full of nutrition that will be healthy for the baby as well.
A nutritionist or a dietician will set a new eating pattern for you with the details like how much food a food item contains fiber, fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. And also, what all food items should we take in a day.
Even in gestational diabetes, the diet plan is not so different from the normal diet plan. It just includes a particular proportion of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, which have to be maintained.
Mainly, a pregnant woman is suggested to have chicken breasts and seafood. It is rich in proteins and also, provides good fats. An egg is another healthy food item that is recommended the most.
All the fruits are healthy to eat, although one must have fruits mainly like raspberry, strawberry, blueberries. Also, green vegetables like spinach and broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, lettuce, beans, and many more, all must be included in the daily diet.
The food is suggested to be cooked in healthy oils such as olive oil and coconut oil. Also, one should try to consume healthy fats like avocado, nuts, dry- fruits, variety of seeds.
Let us read below to learn more about the food and its proportions.
DISTRIBUTION OF FOOD IN PORTIONS
When a woman is pregnant, she needs to increase her nutrition. Skipping a meal is not possible. Meals must be divided into different portions. Also, a pregnant lady must consume a diet full of nutrition.
If you tend to eat too much at one time, it can lead to a rise in blood sugar levels and thus cause problems.
- Carbohydrates are an essential part of the daily diet plan. Healthy carbs should be consumed daily and some carbohydrates which do not provide much benefit to the body should be consumed less or else it can harm us.
- For a pregnant lady, calcium is essential. We get calcium by drinking milk. It helps to increase muscle mass. Milk also ensures that bones remain strong and the baby remains healthy. Thus, consumption of milk more than required can raise blood sugar levels in the body.
- Fruits are a healthy option always. But as we know, excess of everything can be harmful, so eating fruits more than required can also cause a problem. Fruits have natural sugar present in them. Fruits should also be divided into portions and then consumed. Also, packed fruits should not be eaten, especially during pregnancy.
- Blood sugar levels can fluctuate, especially early in the morning. A lot of hormonal changes also take place during the morning time. Usually, it is preferred to eat carbohydrates and proteins in your breakfast.
- Fruits and milk as breakfast are not suitable for everyone’s body. Thus, one can set up their breakfast as they like as it depends from person to person.
- All the packed and canned juices must not be consumed during pregnancy.
- Also, homemade fruit juice should be avoided. Although, it is healthy to have homemade fresh juice during pregnancy it is better to avoid it. One glass of juice contains a lot of fruits and also is high in carbohydrates. Thus, it can lead to a rise in blood sugar levels. It is better to have fruits than juice.
- All the sodas, sugar-sweetened beverages, alcohol, pastries, sweets, cookies, candies, all must be avoided. During pregnancy food containing a high amount of sugar must be avoided. Sugary food is rich in fats and not healthy for the body.
- Also, one must try to avoid extra sugar in food and drinks. And also, honey and syrups must be avoided. Instead of drinking a lot of added sugar, one must add something healthy like jaggery.
- If one feels hungry at night and suffer from gestational diabetes and want to have some bedtime snacks, it is better to have something light and filling. One can eat roasted chickpeas or makhanas, a handful of nuts, popcorns, cucumber slices or tomato, apple, or some other fruit.
- It is important not to have any food item that contains sugar or bad carbohydrates.
It is important for pregnant women with gestational diabetes to have control over the diet and so, one must count the calories consumed.
This can also be done by downloading an app that counts the calories and tells how much protein, fats, fiber, and carbohydrates the meal contains. Pregnant women can manage gestational diabetes by taking care of their diet.