What to eat and what not to eat in gestational diabetes has become a huge concern for pregnant ladies and people who are suffering from gestational diabetes. People suffering from gestational diabetes have to keep a proper check on their diets and the amount of proportion they prefer to consume at one time.
Handling a pregnancy in itself is a big task. But when pregnancy comes with gestational diabetes, it becomes more difficult to handle. There is various food that you have to choose to eat and choose not to eat. A huge lifestyle change has to be brought along with changing eating habits.
To maintain a healthy pregnancy even with gestational diabetes, there are various dos and don’ts. Plenty of things that one must do and one must not do. Before listing the food items that one must take and not take, let us have a look at this.
- A person must keep monitoring their gestational diabetes on daily basis. It should be measured while fasting and after eating. It can decrease the risk of complications and also helps you to achieve your goal. By checking gestational diabetes daily, a person can keep track and also can alter the diet accordingly.
- Along with eating healthy, a person triggered by gestational diabetes must take the medicines prescribed by the doctor on time for better results. To keep the blood sugar level in control, medicines along with healthy eating are important. Proper care should be taken to reduce several things like an overly large baby, C-section delivery, to avoid miscarriage, preterm delivery, unhealthy baby, or long-term health effects on maternal health.
- It is important for everyone to control their blood sugar level but especially for a mother. All healthy fruits and vegetables must be consumed to keep the body healthy and maintain blood sugar levels. Sugary drinks must be avoided along with food items that are high in carbohydrates.
- Physical workout plays an important part in curing gestational diabetes. It is essential for digestion and keeps the body flexible. It keeps the mother and the baby fit and healthy. Any exercise like cycling, swimming, aerobics, dance, can be done by a pregnant woman. This helps in body movement and keeps the mother fit. Without exercise, the body becomes lazy and craves oily and unhealthy food. So, it is better to exercise as it helps in maintaining a healthy pregnancy. Before starting any kind of physical workout, a pregnant lady must consult the doctor to avoid any complications in the future.
It is not essential to exercise. By avoiding heavy exercises, many other exercises like yoga or stretching can be performed. These should be made an integral part of the daily routine. It is beneficial for those ladies who have been told not to over-exert their bodies. The movement of the body is important, may it be in any form.
Let us read in detail about the food items that can be consumed by a pregnant woman, suffering from gestational diabetes.
FOOD ITEMS THAT SHOULD BE CONSUMED IN GESTATIONAL DIABETES
Maintaining carbohydrates during pregnancy is important. The rising blood sugar level in the body and increase of carbohydrates is not a healthy sign for the mother as well as the child. It can be harmful to both mother and the fetus.
Therefore, foods that contain carbohydrates, must be avoided. Only food containing healthy carbs should be added to the diet.
- Pregnant ladies should follow the diet plans given by their dietician or as suggested by the doctor to maintain a healthy pregnancy. All the food items must be tracked and the number of carbohydrates in them should be checked.
- To maintain blood sugar levels, a lady must avoid too much consumption of carbohydrates at a time. Food that contains healthy carbohydrates and has fiber in it, should be consumed.
- Carbohydrates can be combined with proteins to make them healthy. Eating a diet rich in protein and fiber is beneficial. Also, avoid skipping meals. Try to take small meals by dividing them into five to six meals in a day.
- Foods that are low in glycemic content are beneficial for the mother. It maintains the blood sugar level and keeps it in control.
- Non-starchy food should be consumed. Starchy vegetables like peas and carrots should be consumed less.
- Fruits like apples, grapes, peaches, pears contain low glycemic content. Vegetables like beans, lentils, chickpeas are healthy.
- Protein provides several benefits to the body and helps in maintaining a healthy pregnancy. A pregnant woman with gestational diabetes should eat a nutritious and protein-rich diet. Chicken, fish, tofu, eggs, seeds, nuts, all this must be included in the diet.
- Another way of staying healthy is choosing unsaturated fats. Switching on to olive oil, peanut oil, avocado, salmons, nuts, and seeds, is a healthy choice.
FOOD ITEMS THAT SHOULD BE AVOIDED IN GESTATIONAL DIABETES
There are plenty of food items that must be avoided as they are not healthy for a pregnant woman suffering from gestational diabetes.
- Food items like cakes, cookies, candies, sodas, canned drinks, ice creams, fruit juice, all must not be consumed by a woman suffering from gestational diabetes. These food items are full of sugar and processed items. Intake of these food items can raise blood sugar levels in the body.
- Sugar-free and homemade desserts and drinks can be enjoyed in moderation. For satisfying the sugar buds, fruits can be consumed as they contain natural sugar.
- White potatoes, white bread, pasta, and rice, all these food items should also be avoided or can be taken occasionally. These contain a high amount of starch which is again not good for health and disturbs the sugar levels.
- Wheat pasta and brown rice can be taken instead. These are high in carbohydrates but also high in nutritional value. These can be consumed in moderation.
- Highly processed food, sauces, dressings and ketchup, fast food and alcohol, all these food items should also be avoided. These contain hidden sugar that is not beneficial for the body. These food items are a source of carbohydrates and sugar and harm the body.