Diabetes during pregnancy is termed gestational diabetes. It usually goes away after the delivery of the baby but in some rare cases, it might reoccur after delivery. But during pregnancy, it can badly affect the health of the mother. For that, a pregnant woman with gestational diabetes needs to take extra care of herself. Regular visits to the doctor are mandatory. If the woman gets the proper diagnosis and timely treatment then it becomes very quick and easy to avoid any kind of complicated situation.
Chances of delivering a big baby in gestational diabetes
There are almost 50 % chances of delivering a big baby in the case of gestational diabetes. This can further make the delivery more complicated for both the mother as well as the baby. The complications faced while delivering a large baby can be as under:
- Injury to the mother and baby during delivery– There is every possibility of injury to both mother as well baby. It can happen due to the big size of the baby.
- Possibility of caesarean– There are maximum chances of delivering a baby with the caesarean. Normal delivery is sometimes not possible in this case. Doctors might try for a natural delivery but if they do not succeed then they can advise for caesarean. The woman feels activeness in her body after delivering a baby through the natural process but in the case of caesarean, she might take a long time to regain activeness in her body.
- Haemorrhage- In rare and very serious cases, there can be the possibility of haemorrhage. To avoid such critical situations, a pregnant woman with gestational diabetes needs to take extra care of herself during pregnancy.
- Heart disease– There is a possibility of getting heart disease for the overweight baby. There are some defects that might affect the brain and spine of the baby also.
Macrosomia- Overweight baby
The word macrosomia means an oversized baby. It happens mostly in the case of delivery with gestational diabetes. The weight of the baby is more than the average weight. Normally 3.4 kg is considered as an average weight but in case if the weight of the baby goes beyond 4 kg then such baby is overweight. In that case, the delivery can be complicated. Cases of Macrosomia are increasing day by day. The reason behind it is the change in our lifestyle and lack of physical activity.
How to control diet to avoid the situation of Macrosomia?
It’s critical to understand what we may expect from our food plan. When establishing a diet plan for gestational diabetes, there are a few things to keep in mind. This will allow us to follow the healthiest diet plan possible. We can keep track of our sugar levels during pregnancy with this.
- Take whole grains– We should eat whole grains because they are very good for us. It offers numerous health advantages. It reduces the risk of diabetes and hypertension. Oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, barley, and wild rice are examples of whole grains. White bread and white rice are not allowed to be consumed by pregnant women with gestational diabetes. Nutrients and fiber are always abundant in whole grains. Antioxidants can also be found in whole grains. Whole grains are good for our hearts. They also lower the risk of heart disease. They also keep us safe.
- Avoid proteins loaded with fats– Patients with gestational diabetes should consume proteins, but only those that are fat-free. Cheese, dark chocolates, entire eggs, and fatty seafood are prohibited for the patient. White-fleshed fish, plain greek yogurt, beans, and peas can be substituted. If we’re looking for a low-fat option, lentils are a great option. Pulses contain all of the essential amino acids.
- Increase the intake of fruits and vegetables– We need to eat more fruits and vegetables in our diet. Fiber is abundant in fruits. They help us digest food better. They also help to prevent constipation. Fruits are high in vitamin C, which contains a lot of antioxidants. Fruits are also high in folic acid, which is beneficial to pregnant women.
- Continue to eat something after a few hours– A diabetic patient should not have a huge gap between meals. The chasm must be as little as possible. With gestational diabetes, a pregnant woman must eat small meals at regular intervals. It’s critical to keep an eye on your blood sugar levels as they fluctuate. Small meals might help a pregnant woman stay energized. It is critical for the development of the fetus.
- Avoid sugar– Do not eat sugar. Sugar is really bad for diabetic patients. It is better to go for a sugar-free option. Sugar is poison, especially for diabetic patients. Replace sugar with jaggery. More consumption of sugar will make it difficult to control glucose levels in the blood and the situation will be out of control. Avoid more sugary fruits also. Do not eat more mangoes. They can shoot up the sugar.
Uncontrolled sugar can also raise the blood sugar of the newborn that is very harmful to the baby. It can increase the weight of the baby in excess.
Ways to manage an overweight baby
- Stop eating before reaching the point of satiation– it is very important to make a child habitual of stop eating before reaching the satiation level. This will surely help in reducing the baby’s weight.
- Breastfeed- it is the best milk for the baby. It is lightweight milk and very easy to digest.
- Avoid bottle feeding as much as possible. It can increase the tendency of the baby to consume more milk.
- Do not always give food to the baby to avoid discomfort and stress– if the baby feels tired and stressful then try to give human contact to the baby rather than giving food every time.
- Keep the nipple of the bottle small– otherwise, the baby will consume more milk in a short span of time and it might increase the level of hunger. It will enable the mother to feed the child slowly not rapidly.
- Avoid sweet and sugary products as much as possible.
Make sure that a mother does not underfeed her child. Give proper diet, as it helps in the growth and development of baby’s brain. But try to keep the quantity low.