From a simple breakfast side to the hot velvety voice with this creamy mushroom soup. And yes, this is another gestational diabetes friendly recipe to add to the list of ‘one pot wonders’. Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons lighting olive oil
- 1 large leek (white portion only), washed, halved lengthways, sliced thinly
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 750g/ 1 ¾ pounds of Portobello or flat mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups salt reduced vegetable
- 125ml/ 4.5 ounces thickened light cream
- Toasted bread or low GI bread rolls to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over average temperature.
- Add leek and garlic and cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Decrease heat to minimal. Continue to cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until leek is basically tender.
- Increase temperature to medium.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are smooth.
- If you find your mushrooms are burning, possibly reduce the heat or add around 100ml of water to add a little moisture.
- Add stock to saucepan and simmer, partly covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool fairly.
- Mix soup until well mixed. If too firm add a little more stock.
- Either stir in cream before serving or add a good dollop to every container.
- The volume of carbohydrates in this meal varies based on the amount of bread served per individual.