Spiced and salted buttermilk drink is simple and effective drink for summer. Spiced and salted buttermilk drink is a famous drink during the summer seasons in India. During summer I make this almost everyday and absolutely love it very much. Cool, refreshing summer drink, low fat and healthy. Worth trying this summer.
- 16 oz low fat buttermilk or 2 cups non-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 dry red chilly
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 (+1) cups water
- If using yogurt, beat them with 2 cups water with a whisk (for about 5 minutes at maximum speed) to make it frothy and smooth. Set aside. If using buttermilk, pour in 2 cups water and stir with a spatula to combine. Set aside. You can add 1 more cup of water if needed.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan. Once they sizzle, add the curry leaves and let it crisp. Then throw in the mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Next add cumin seeds, dry chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute for 30-45 seconds and switch off the flame.
- Add the above mixture, salt and cilantro to the whisked yogurt or buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Serve in a pitcher glass and enjoy it cold.